[Project_owners] XMLHttpRequest - how can one bypass cache?

Myk Melez myk at melez.com
Mon Aug 7 16:20:18 EDT 2006

Andrey Gromyko wrote:
> There is at least one news-feed I know which has 100+ new entries a day and Firefox (which, I assume, "respects the cache") doesn't fetch an updated xml without unless I press Shift+Reload. What would you say about that? (rhetorical question...)

It's possible that the site isn't configured correctly, but sites might
intentionally set long cache timeouts for frequently updated sites to
reduce the load on their servers.  Even if a feed gets updated every
minute (or multiple times a minute, as with some del.icio.us feeds),
that doesn't mean the site wants every user checking for updates that
frequently.

As a matter of fact, Slashdot used to ban IPs for reloading their feeds
too quickly (perhaps they still do; haven't checked lately).  That
shouldn't be necessary, as feed readers should respect the cache and
other mechanisms sites correctly use to manage their traffic, even if
some sites use them incorrectly.

-myk