[Project_owners] Re: SmartSync Project and Mozdev Terms of Use

Matt Seitz mseitz at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 30 11:20:32 EDT 2006

Filippo Possenti wrote:
> My desire is to allow free non-commercial use of this extension. For
> commercial use, I want to be notified so that I can decide if allow or
> deny this right. The purpose is to allow the diffusion of the extension
> without letting sly people to take undue advantages from it.

What do you think of the GPL?  While it would allow commercial use
without your permission, it would require them to hand over their source
code.  That's usually enough to stop companies from taking undue
advantage of your work.

> However, I'd like to be informed by people before
> they start a new project. This with the purpose of talking to this
> people and finding a solution that will not cause the project to split
> in different projects with the same final purpose.

That's a laudable goal.  I'm not aware of a current license that calls
for this, but you could add this requirement to an existing license.
However, I think you would need to be sure that the only requirement is
that notice be sent to a certain address, either physical or e'mail.  If
you require that you approve of the new project, that would be contrary
to a basic principle of open source:  derived works do not require the
explicit permission of the original author, just conformance with a
predefined set of terms.