[Project_owners] SmartSync Project and Mozdev Terms of Use

Philip Chee philip.chee at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 23:03:18 EDT 2006

The Mozdev Terms of Use say this:

"All code for each project hosted on the Site must be made available
under the Mozilla Public License (MPL) unless otherwise noted on the
project pages. More information about the MPL can be found at
http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/. If a project is not using the MPL it must
to use one of the other OSI-approved open source licenses."

The SmartSync project is using:

Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.5/>

I'm specifically objecting to:
"No Derivative Works. You may not alter, transform, or build upon this
work."

As far as I can tell from this page:
<http://www.opensource.org/licenses/>
None of the CC licences have been approved by the OSI.

Based on the Mozdev AUP, I am now assuming that by registering their
project on Mozdev, they have implicitly released their code under the
MPL overriding the "No Derivative Works" clause in the CC licence.

Phil
[ ]I could be chasing an untamed ornithoid without cause.
* TagZilla 0.059