[Project_owners] Online/Offline

Tracy Norris tnorris at nc.rr.com
Fri Apr 14 14:14:00 EDT 2006

I was writing something several years ago where I wanted to know the
same thing, and in the end I gave up on the idea of offline/online
because there is no clear definition. Does it mean an active ethernet
connection? or a valid functioning TCP/IP stack? or can I get to a
particular IP address? or a successful DNS lookup? And then, even if all
those are true at this moment, what about on the next TCP/IP request or
the one after that? After alot of research and discussion with
colleagues, I discarded the idea and just used the built in timeouts in
all socket calls. In a way it kind of sucks because your code appears to
"lock up" if they have no connection whatsoever but I didn't see any
better option. One thing you'll note is that on Windows, there doesn't
seem to be a better way either because how many systems have you seen
popup the RAS connection stuff when a particular TCP/IP request fails
even though the machine does have a functioning connection.

So, my round about answer is, I don't think there is a way.