[Project_owners] problem scanning messages in Thunderbird

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 12:43:03 EDT 2005

Hi everyone,

I decided to take over and improve DupeFilter
(http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=2633) since it
seems to have been abandoned.
As a sidenote, there's another extension with similar functionality,
Duplicate Message Remover, but from what I've seen it's a bit too
generous in deleting messages. I think it deletes similar messages
with different body. Feel free to correct me on that one.

Anyway, my current problem with DupeFilter is that it only notices
dupes when threaded message view is turned off. Everything works well
when the messages are sorted by date for example. Since this is the
1st time for me with Thunderbird extensions, I'm kinda lost. Could
someone look at the code and tell me why this might happen?

P.S. The reason I'm working on this extension is because it takes
O(N^2) - that's over 6 hrs for 10,000 messages :(   I've already taken
care of that problem, but the code is still ugly - and the problem I'm
asking about appears in the original code as well.

Thanks,
Konstantin