[Project_owners] Unicode and CVS

Axel Hecht axel at pike.org
Mon Sep 26 14:57:33 EDT 2005

Luca Minuti wrote:
> I have some translations of my firefox extension. Until now I encoded
> the DTDs in this way:
> <!ENTITY test.menu.file "&#12501;&#12449;&#12452;&#12523;">
> and property files as:
> saveas=\u753B\u50CF\u3092\u540D\u524D\u3092\u4ED8\u3051\u3066\u4FDD\u5B58
> But probably is better to encode all that files in UTF8. The problem
> is: How can I put these UTF8 files in CVS? Must be added to repository
> as binary file? And finaly, do you think is a good idea or is better
> the previous encoding?

ASCII vs binary is only line-ending handling, AFAIK. So even utf-8 files
should be non-binary.

In DTDs, you should use utf-8, we do in mozilla and it works like charm.
Unless you run into BOM trouble, like Neil indicated.

property files are different, those are ASCII by file format definition,
though I have heard that the mozilla parser accepts utf-8, too. I
suggest that you keep property files encoded, as that enables you to use
any property file editor out there. And of course, those files shouldn't
be binary in CVS.