[Project_owners] Hooking HTTP Basic Authentication dialog

Eric Jung grimholtz at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 17 11:19:05 EDT 2005

Hi Philip,

--- Philip Chee <philip.chee at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:19:37 -0700 (PDT), Eric Jung wrote:
>
> > observe : function(domWindow, topic, data) {
> >   if (topic == "domwindowopened") {
> >     domWindow =
> >
> domWindow.QueryInterface(Components.interfaces.nsIDOMWindow);
> >       var user =
> domWindow.document.getElementById("loginTextbox");
> >       var pw =
> domWindow.document.getElementById("password1Textbox");
> >       dump(user + "\n");
> >       dump(pw + "\n");
> >     }
> >   },
>
> Shouldn't that be dump(user.value) and dump(pw.value)?

Ultimately, yes, but for now I just wanted to see what kind of object
I had a reference to (if any).

> > This dumps null and null to the console.... :(
> > FWIW, I can't find commonDialog.xul/commonDialog.js in FF (but
> maybe
> > I missed it?), just Mozilla.
>
> Doing a local search on my hard drive pulls up:

"c:\Program_Files\Mozilla.Org\Firefox106\chrome\toolkit.jar\content\global\commonDialog.js"

"c:\Program_Files\Mozilla.Org\Firefox106\chrome\toolkit.jar\content\global\commonDialog.xul"

> Don't you have a desktop search tool?

Yes, but I didn't have *all* of the .jars unzipped, apparently.

> lxr: aviary101branch:
> <http://lxr.mozilla.org/aviary101branch/find?string=commondialog>
> lxr: whole CVS:
> <http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/find?string=commondialog>
>
> Doesn't lxr work for you?

I only recently learned about lxr. I'm never quite sure which
"branch" to search. Which is the one for Firefox? Anyway, I did a
search and found commonDialog.xul/commonDialog.js based on Michael's
tip, but since it was in the aviary and seamonkey branches, I thought
this meant it was only part of Mozilla. I have a really hard time
understanding how the nicknames/codenames map to real products (like
Firefox 1.x, Mozilla 1.7, Mozilla 1.8, Netscape 6, 7, 8,
Thunderbbird, etc). Ultimately, I did find it in toolkit.jar. Thanks
for the pointers.

-Eric