[Project_owners] Installing a searchplugin (Firefox 1.0.x)

Jeroen Groenenboom jagrboom at zonnet.nl
Fri Sep 9 15:08:12 EDT 2005

Brian King wrote:

> I'm installing a searchplugin with my extension. In 1.5 builds, you
> just slot it into searchplugins/ in the XPI, and Firefox automagically
> looks after the rest.
>
> In 1.0.x builds, plugins are not picked up in extensions.
>
> So my current way around this is on first startup to move the files to
> the app searchplugins/ folder. The problem with this is that it
> requires another restart for the plugin to appear.
>
> Does anyone know a solution for the plugin to appear on first startup
> of Firefox after your extension is installed?

You cannot use the nsIInternetSearchService.AddSearchEngine ( or
sidebar.AddSearchEngine ) function, because it requires a http url of
the .src file as input (your .src file can only have a chrome or file
url). What you can do is assert all the necessary info to the
rdf:internetsearch datasource. The searchengine will then automatically
appear. One way to find out what you need to assert, is to check the
datasource for all outgoing arcs and corresponding targets of your
engine (when it is installed of course). Quite tedious. Let me know if
you want to pursue this and need some more details.

Jeroen