[Project_owners] Mailing list spam

David Boswell davidwboswell at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 11:32:01 EDT 2005

> mailman-bounces at mozdev.org is forwarding spam addressed to
> [projectname]-bounces at mozdev.org to me (because m-b at m.o thinks it's a
> malformed bounce message. I could configure mailman to just silently
> drop
> all "malformed" bounce messages on the assumption that they are all
> spam. Is there any downside to this?

I did this on the lists I admin since I was getting too much spam too.
I don't think there's a big downside, although the mailman admin pages
discourage changing this option.  The reasons it lists for not changing
this setting are below.

David

-------------------

While Mailman's bounce detector is fairly robust, it's impossible to
detect every bounce format in the world. You should keep this variable
set to Yes for two reasons: 1) If this really is a permanent bounce
from one of your members, you should probably manually remove them from
your list, and 2) you might want to send the message on to the Mailman
developers so that this new format can be added to its known set.

If you really can't be bothered, then set this variable to No and all
non-detected bounces will be discarded without further processing.

Note: This setting will also affect all messages sent to your list's
-admin address. This address is deprecated and should never be used,
but some people may still send mail to this address. If this happens,
and this variable is set to No those messages too will get discarded.
You may want to set up an autoresponse message for email to the -owner
and -admin address.