[Project_owners] Re: Newsgroup moderation

Philip Chee philip.chee at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 15:27:16 EDT 2005

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:12:57 -0700, Michael Vincent van Rantwijk wrote:
> Philip Chee wrote:

>> cancel messages using the control message method; but since the usenet
>> cancel wars, most sysadmins have configured their news servers to ignore
>> control cancel messages, except those from recognised spam cancelbots.

> Ah, maybe that's why my father wants a MultiZilla forum.
> Hmm, so having our own news server, with all control, is what we need.

While I would prefer to read messages through a nntp news server. I would
suggest that the overhead and the work involved would be overkill for one
newsgroup. I would instead suggest a phpBB based forum which will provide
you with moderation and control facilities. Several extensions provide user
feedback and support via such forums. Some examples are: Adblock/Adblock
Plus, Moji, and MenuX. Others just have a semi-permanent thread on the
Mozillazine "Extensions" forum. Actually phbBB seems to be an easily managed
forum package and since it's an open source LAMP based stack, it's easily
customised to your requirements.

Have a look at The Extensions Mirror to see what can be done:

Actually, instead of the proposed new Notes2 system (which seems like
reinventing the wheel) I wonder if Mozdev has enough resources to implement
phbBB with one forum per extension and each extension owner can be the
moderator of their own forum.
[[ *Hello, Mozdev Admins, anybody reading this thread?* ]]

[ ]Did you know that no-one ever reads these things?
* TagZilla 0.059