[Project_owners] Re: Newsgroup moderation

Philip Chee philip.chee at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 08:11:35 EDT 2005

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:32:13 -0700, Michael Vincent van Rantwijk wrote:

> Also, what if something bad slips through? Who do we contact for
> removal? Why can't we do this ourself? And how do we remove something
> from the newsgroup?

OK. I'm sorry I misunderstood you. I thought that you were talking about the
mailing list and not the newsgroup. *These* days you don't ever get to
remove messages from newsgroups. The NNTP protocol itself does allow you to
cancel messages using the control message method; but since the usenet
cancel wars, most sysadmins have configured their news servers to ignore
control cancel messages, except those from recognised spam cancelbots.

Even if the mozdev admins allowed HJ to cancel messages in the multizilla
newsgroup, it's all too easy to forge control-cancel messages from HJ. It's
been too many years since I was a regular on news.admin.usenet, but I think
there is a way of signing your control message with your PGP key, but
whether that particular patch has ever been applied to the INND that mozdev
is using is highly debatable.

The mozdev news administrator, of course, can telnet/ssh into the actual
news server and use a command line utility to delete the message directly
from the spool, but I think it is highly unlikely that mozdev will allow HJ
root access to their INND server.

I guess this is why Mozdev is looking for some full time sysadmins for their
boxen to handle requests like these.

Phil
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/
[ ]When uncertain, or in doubt, run in circles and scream: HELP!
* TagZilla 0.059