[Project_owners] Public mailing list archives

Brian King brian at mozdev.org
Thu Oct 20 12:12:13 EDT 2005

The problem is not only for addresses of posters and those on cc list,
at least mailman tries to obscure these (or the setting below).

The main issue I think is when an email address appears in the body of a
message. This can happen a number of ways (intentionally or
unintentionally), for example when a message is forwarded.

For what it is worth, I think we should have an all or nothing policy.
People should be aware that this is a public site with (mostly) public
lists. Sure, some visitors/posters may not be aware of this, but we can
take a few steps to make it more obvious.

- Brian

Andrew Archer wrote:
> This option should stop email addresses from new post being made public.
> By the way the default is no.
>
> "Hide the sender of a message, replacing it with the list address
> (Removes From, Sender and Reply-To fields) "
>

> David Boswell wrote, On 18/10/2005 3:18 AM:
>
>> Mailman does have the ability to obscure email addresses, although I
>> don't know how well this deters spam harvesters.  I'm not an expert at
>> mailman configuration options, so it is possible that there are
>> solutions available to us.  If anyone knows of a good way to configure
>> your list to deal with this issue, please share with the group.
>>
>> David

Brian King
www.mozdev.org - free project hosting for the Mozilla community