[Project_owners] Specifying keyboard shortcuts

Pekka Sillanpää p.sillanpaa at hut.fi
Mon Oct 10 10:19:35 EDT 2005

Hi Paul,

If you like, you can use the keyinputbox XBL element that Paul Stone
developed (as far as I know) for my Hit-a-Hint extension.
The idea is pretty similar to KDE shortcut definition. At the moment,
there is a separate keyinputbox for each action, but a better approach
might be to have just keyinputbox and a list like you suggested above.

http://www.mozdev.org/source/browse/hah/src/chrome/content/hah/hahbindings.xml?rev=1.3&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

I volunteered to implement a common Mozilla keyboard shortcut
infrastructure in the Google summer of code, but they were not interested :)
I think it would be nice, if we had just one this kind of list in
Mozilla, shared by Mozilla and all extensions. We would need a new event
type (or two)
to advance onkeypress and onkeydown/up events. This way we would just
need to define shortcut labels to listen, and assign these labels to
particular physical user-defined shortcuts. Anyone have ideas for this?

Regards,
Pekka