[Project_owners] HTTP Auth's opening URL

Eric Jung grimholtz at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 16:21:12 EDT 2005

Hi Michael,

--- Michael Vincent <mv_van_rantwijk at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Eric Jung wrote:
> > I was never able to solve this problem (get URL of the site
> > requesting HTTP Basic Authentication). I posted here, too:
> >
> > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=323516
> >
> > and people gave me additional ideas. I've tried everything that 4
> > developers thought of (myself, Michael Vincent, Cusser (forum
> > moderator), and Captain Caveman), but nothing so far has worked.
> >
> > One final last plea for help. My users are begging for a feature
> > which requires knowledge of the URL needing HTTP Auth.
> > -Eric
> >

> > --- Eric Jung <grimholtz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> OK, in FF I did the following:
> >>
> >> onOpenWindow: function(aXULWindow) {
> >>   var docShell = aXULWindow.docShell;
> >>   var requestor = docShell
> >>
> .QueryInterface(Components.interfaces.nsIInterfaceRequestor);
> >>   var chromeWindow = requestor
> >>     .getInterface(Components.interfaces.nsIDOMWindow);
> >>   var url = chromeWindow.document.location;
> >>   dump("url=" + url + "\n");
> >> }
> >>
> >> chrome.document is an HTMLDocument instance, so I thought just
> >> output
> >> chromeWindow.document.location or
> >> chromeWindow.document.location.href.
> >>
> >> chromeWindow.document.location is "about:blank" no matter how I
> >> open
> >> the URL which requires HTTP Auth (from bookmark, from ALT-Enter,
> >> from
> >> blank tab, etc.)

> thinking:
> type
> and

> >> something

> the

> I am still waiting for you to reply about that ctrl+enter versus
> alt+enter thing. So tell me, what happens when you enter some URL
> in the

Sorry, I didn't understand you were waiting. Can you please repeat
what you wanted (unless you did that just below...)

> location bar and press alt+enter (with and without any of the
> extensions
> installed). That should always open a new tab, right?

Yes -- regardless of whether or not there are installed extensions.
Here are two screenshots.

Without extensions (new profile):
http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9152/capture105200561433pm7ot.jpg

With extensions: