[Project_owners] Overlaying the Firefox 1.5 PrefWindow5

Tony Gentilcore gentilac at slu.edu
Mon Nov 28 19:04:57 EST 2005

Hi Phil,

I used simply the following code:

<?xml-stylesheet href="chrome://fasterfox/skin/fasterfox.css"
type="text/css"?>
   <prefwindow id="BrowserPreferences">
      <prefpane id="ff_paneTabs" label="Fasterfox"
		src="chrome://fasterfox/content/prefV-fasterfox.xul"/>
   </prefwindow>

... and the CSS file is as follows:

/* skin the Fasterfox button in the Preferences dialog */
#catFasterfoxButton {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://fasterfox/skin/icon.png");
}

/* skin the Fasterfox button in the Preferences dialog (PrefWindow V) */
#BrowserPreferences radio[pane=ff_paneTabs] {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://fasterfox/skin/icon.png")
!important;
	-moz-image-region: rect(0px, 32px, 32px, 0px);
}

It inserted the Fasterfox icon into the rightmost position in the 1.5 list.
I couldn't figure out how to control the position, like you mentioned the
insert before and after worked in 1.0.x but not 1.5.

I should also note that I've been in contact with some folks who work more
closely with the Mozilla core and they are strongly discouraging extension
authors from modifying the preferences pane.  They would like to see all
extension options be accessed from the extension manager.

For this reason, I'm currently reworking Fasterfox to move the options out
of the preferences and into the extension manager.  Either way, give some
thought as to whether you really want to side step their UI guidelines and
overlay the preferences.

Hope this helps...
Tony