[Project_owners] Getting to know you...

Myk Melez myk at melez.com
Tue May 31 12:54:07 EDT 2005

Todd Ross wrote:

> Now, Myk mentioned http://developer-test.mozilla.org/ is being used to
> address this problem, but from what little I've seen, developer-test
> is a replacement for the now-dead Netscape DevEdge.  In other words,
> it's not Platform documentation; it's more like IBM's DeveloperWorks,
> which is useful, but not the type of documentation that I think needs
> to be available for Mozilla to be a viable Platform.

Devmo only looks like Devedge now because most of its initial content
came from there.  It aims to become much more
<http://developer-test.mozilla.org/docs/Devmo:Frequently_Asked_Questions>
and contains an embryonic (i.e. mostly empty) Mozilla as a Platform
<http://developer-test.mozilla.org/docs/Mozilla_as_a_Platform> section.

> I will also throw out the amazing http://www.xulplanet.com/ website as
> a good beginning source of documentation.  But, it's one person
> maintaining the whole thing right now with very little community
> involvement.  The forums are virtually dead, comments on the various
> tutorial pages/reference pages seem few and far between.  I feel that
> it's a PHP-like documentation site that just hasn't achieved critical
> mass which doesn't make it as useful as it could be.

Indeed.  Note that community development
<http://developer-test.mozilla.org/docs/Devmo:Community> is one of
Devmo's foci.

> With XULRunner on the horizon, Mozilla the Platform might be just
> around the corner.  I don't know because I can't find a decent
> roadmap, or even exactly what XULRunner is supposed to be providing
> us.  I get the sense that the immediate goal is to get XULRunner ready
> for Firefox, Thunderbird, and Sunbird, but that's not going to lead to
> a very well thought out Platform by itself.

No, but it's a good way to bootstrap the platform, since it demonstrates
the technology to potential adopters in a way that presentations can't.
I don't know of a XULRunner roadmap either, but a version of XULRunner
is part of a triumvirate of applications scheduled for release within
the next couple of months
<http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/007915.html>, and XULRunner
has a to do list
<http://wiki.mozilla.org/XUL:Xul_Runner#What_needs_to_be_done.3F> and
bug list
<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product=Toolkit&component=XULRunner&long_desc_type=substring&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status_whiteboard=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&resolution=---&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=exact&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailqa_contact2=1&emailtype2=exact&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=>.

Note also Brendan's blog post about Mozilla 2.0 platform must-haves
<http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roadmap/archives/005689.html>.

-myk