[Project_owners] Question: Mozilla Development

Karsten Düsterloh mnenhy at tprac.de
Thu Mar 24 21:58:34 EST 2005

Pete Collins aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:
> When developing Moz code what editor do you use?

I used to take the (quite good if you've added some tweaks) MSVC6
editor, but that one doesn't know about UTF-8. So I looked out for a
free editor and found SciTE - a real gem!

> What platform do you use for primary development?

Win2k/WinXP, Debian Woody in VMWare.

> If you are writing some js code let's say this bit below:
>
> var prefs = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1"].
>                      getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrefBranch);
>
> How would you actually write this code?
>
> Copy and paste it from somewhere else?

Yes. Either from myself, from LXR or from "vivisected" other (extension)
code.

> Do you type it manually from memory?

Yuck!

> How do you obtain the contractID or interface to use to instantiate a
> component?

LXR, even though I constantly remind myself I should use the Component
Viewer. ;-)

> How about if you were writing a new XUL file from scratch, how would you
> do it?
>
> Let's say you wanted to add the code below, how would you do it?

Sorry, what do you mean by "how"?!?

> Same with css, let's say you wanted to add some style rules to an element:
>
> #foo
> {
>    -moz-image-region: rect(0, 388px, 20px, 292px);
> }
>
> Is the rule "-moz-image-region" committed to memory or a search and
> paste action?

Most "regular" rules come from memory, the rest from the W3.org,
XULPlanet (especially tree styles) and LXR.

Karsten
--
Feel free to correct my English. :)