[Project_owners] Question: Mozilla Development

Roman Mironenko roman_mir at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 24 20:01:26 EST 2005

I will answer to what I can

>I have some basic questions regards Mozilla development for Mozdev
>developers.
>
>When developing Moz code what editor do you use?

I use Eclipse with a javascript plugin.  It is buggy though, for example
Window/Preferences/Javascript is supposed to show options for the extension
but instead it generates an error.  It also doesn't do what the Java
perspective
does, for example it does not open function of property definition (Java
perspective does with F3.)
There is autocompletion built in, so that is helpful I think.

>What platform do you use for primary development?

Platforms used: Win2K, WinXP, and I am setting up a Gentoo box for testing.

>If you are writing some js code let's say this bit below:
>
>var prefs = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1"].
>                     getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrefBranch);
>
>How would you actually write this code?

I copied it from another extension without even understanding what that was
at first, and only after a while realized that it has to do with preferences
in about:config

It would be nice if there was an IDE that supplied a list of common
functionality for
reference and autocompletion.

>Copy and paste it from somewhere else?
>
>Do you type it manually from memory?
>
>How do you obtain the contractID or interface to use to instantiate a
>component?
>
>eg: "@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1",  "nsIPrefBranch"
>
>How about if you were writing a new XUL file from scratch, how would you do
>it?

go over different extensions, find things that are similar to what I need.

>Let's say you wanted to add the code below, how would you do it?
>
>   <toolbarbutton type="menu">
>     <menupopup>
>       <menu>
>         <menupopup>