[Project_owners] Question: Mozilla Development

Fabio Serra mab at faser.net
Thu Mar 24 17:19:27 EST 2005

At 16.46 24/03/2005, you wrote:
>I have some basic questions regards Mozilla development for Mozdev developers.
>
>When developing Moz code what editor do you use?

I use HomeSite for xul and Komodo for javascript (AFAIK there isn't any
real editor for javascript and Komodo is the only one with a sort of
javascript intellisense). The js plugin for Eclipse is not stable.

>What platform do you use for primary development?

Windows

>If you are writing some js code let's say this bit below:
>
>var prefs = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1"].
>                     getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrefBranch);
>
>How would you actually write this code?

Copy and paste

>How do you obtain the contractID or interface to use to instantiate a
>component?
>
>eg: "@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1",  "nsIPrefBranch"

I use the XULPlanet Reference from the HomeSite Help.

>How about if you were writing a new XUL file from scratch, how would you
>do it?
>
>Let's say you wanted to add the code below, how would you do it?
>
>   <toolbarbutton type="menu">
>     <menupopup>
>       <menu>
>         <menupopup>
>           <menuitem />
>         </menupopup>
>       </menu>
>     </menupopup>
>   </toolbarbutton>

If I don't have any snippet of code I write it line by line using the XUL
tag editor from homesite.

>Same with css, let's say you wanted to add some style rules to an element:
>
>#foo
>{
>   -moz-image-region: rect(0, 388px, 20px, 292px);
>}
>
>Is the rule "-moz-image-region" committed to memory or a search and paste
>action?

I use TopStyle for CSS so I have style inspector and intellisense for
Mozilla css extensions too.

>I'm very curious to see how everyone does things.

Me too.

Fabio Serra
http://www.faser.net/mab