[Project_owners] Extension Debuggin

Eric Jung grimholtz at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 18 13:27:07 EST 2005

You're right! (at least with Firefox 1.0.1 on Windows XP).
You've just cut my development time by probably 15% -- thanks so
much!!

--- Didier Ernotte <dernotte at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't think you have to unzip your jar file in the extension
> directory. Just push the jar file under
> extensions\{5872365e-67d1-4afd-9480-fd293bebd20d}\chrome and it
> should
> be ok.
> In my extension, I have a make.sh file that creates the jar file,
> the
> xpi file (which is also a jar file), and pushes the jar file into
> the
> firefox, thunderbird and mozilla chrome directory without manual
> action
> (no drag and drop). When I have to add a new locale, I installed it
> using the xpi installer.
>
> Didier
>
> --- Eric Jung <grimholtz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Niko,
> > I've also been debugging the hard way (re-installing the XPI for
> each
> > and every build) on Windows. I just tried your first suggestion:
> > create and install the XPI, then unzip and delete the jar. Now
> when I
> > start Firefox, Firefox hangs with this message in the console:
> >
> > *** Failed to load overlay
> > chrome://passwdmaker/content/passwdmakerOverlay.xul
> >
> > The directory I have after unzipping is:
> >
> > c:\Documents and Settings\User1\Application

Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ifk9k760.dev9\extensions\{5872365e-67d1-4afd-9480-fd293bebd20d}\chrome\content\passwdmaker

> > and
> >
> > c:\Documents and Settings\User1\Application

Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ifk9k760.dev9\extensions\{5872365e-67d1-4afd-9480-fd293bebd20d}\chrome\skin\classic\passwdmaker

Components.classes["@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1"].getService(Compone