[Project_owners] Death of Seamonkey

John Dobbins john at brandxcomputers.com
Thu Mar 10 04:39:48 EST 2005

Karsten Düsterloh wrote:

>John Dobbins aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:
>

>>The ideal default UI should appeal to the average user, not fit the geek
>>idea of the ideal UI. It should be similar enough to the version of IE
>>that ships with Windows XP that there is no problem with a user feeling
>>unfamilar with the UI. This is something that FF accomplished, and that
>>Seamonkey didn't.
>>

>While I see your point in providing more "eye candy" in a modern theme,
> what would be the point in imitating FF?
>The power of Seamonkey lies in it /not/ being FF or IE...
>

>Karsten

Seamonkey's power lies in it's functionality, not the style of it's UI.
An example of what I'm talking about with being familar to a IE user
would be using a star icon for accessing bookmarks instead of a bookmark
icon. An IE user knows that a star opens a list of favorite webpages, he
has no idea of what that little bookmark symbol is for. The same goes
for using a page symbol for the indiviual bookmarks instead of that
bookmark icon (something that FF does). This wouldn't have any effect on
the way bookmarks work, just the little pictures the user sees in the
default UI. The same goes for the name, changing it to "favorites"
wouldn't affect it's functionality, but it would make it more familar to
someone transitioning from IE.

I'm not talking about dumbing Seamonkey down, that would be a rehash of
FF. I'm  just saying that symbols and labels should be recognizable to
an IE user whenever possible.

John