[Project_owners] Death of Seamonkey

Irongut at vodafone.net Irongut at vodafone.net
Wed Mar 9 13:07:48 EST 2005

Hi Jed,

I've tried every version of Firefox since it first became known as Firebird. I do several hours of non-codeing work for MoFo every week and as part of that answer some support emails and I need Firefox installed for that.

So I have used Firefox extensively but I really do think SeaMonkey is superior. I find Firefox is a dumbed down browser that assumes I'm an idiot who needs his hand held rather than someone who's been online for 10+ years, programming for 15+ years and used to do network support. And, I'm not alone. During my MoFo work I see emails from people complaining that feature X from SeaMonkey isn't in Firefox (or an extension) or that they just don't like Firefox.

That isn't to say that there aren't Firefox features that could (and should) be ported over to SeaMonkey. You suggested two I definitely would port and I'd include RSS support too. Anything we can do to make life easier for extension authors and users is important.

I disagree with the common view that SeaMonkey is too complicated for non-techies. My girlfriend uses it regularly with no problems once she'd figured out things like what tabbed browsing is and the benefits of it. She's about as non-techie as you get without going as far as my mum (who is the mythical granny). Admitedly she doesn't have to set it up and the Prefs dialogs are arcane.

I have to admit to not having tried Thunderbird but I haven't found a reason to switch yet. If you think it has a killer feature not in Mail + Newsgroups let me know, maybe I'll give it a try.

For anyone that doesn't know yet we're building a SeaMonkey team on the Mozilla Wiki. If you want to help add your details to the supporters page:

http://wiki.mozilla.org/wiki/SeaMonkey:Home_Page
http://wiki.mozilla.org/wiki/SeaMonkey:Supporters

Thanks,
Dave.