[Project_owners] SeaMonkey XPFE -> toolkit transition

Karsten Düsterloh mnenhy at tprac.de
Tue Jun 14 23:33:20 EDT 2005

Robert Kaiser aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:
> Michael Vincent van Rantwijk schrieb:
>> The first thing to do is to get that new name for the former Mozilla
>> Suite registered, so that people can start working on this new project
>> in public.

The naming process has nothing to do with the problem this thread is
about. Any name will do if this works. *g*

>> Also, what do you mean when you write 'XPFE -> Toolkit" because most
>> people dont't even know what that is. For me toolkit is just toolkit.jar
>> simply because I don't care what Mozilla C code is involved to get this
>> going.

Well, if you don't know what I'm talking about, chances are that you
(resp. your addon) are most probably not affected. ;-)

Okay, seriously.
As KaiRo said:

> You'll notice that toolkit.jar (and chrome://global*) contains
> completely different files in SeaMonkey and Firefox. SeaMonkey has the
> "old toolkit", dubbed "xpfe", in there, while Firefox (and XULRunner,
> etc.) has the "new toolkit" there (most of the time just being called
> "toolkit").
> In some cases, the files don't differ much between xpfe and toolkit, in
> some cases there are rather big differences.

This means, if your addon contains stylesheets with -moz-binding rules
used to bind base widgets or if you are using XBL to extend certain
widgets (eg. a textbox), you may be in trouble if the underlying toolkit
version changes: either the widget you reference may not be there
anymore or maybe it has changed its behaviour...

> Mnyromyr tries to find out how big the impact on extensions will be
> when SeaMonkey turns over to being bsaed on toolkit rather than xpfe,

Exactly.
To rephrase my original question:

  Which of your addons are using base widgets,
  either by -moz-binding or by xbl:extends?

Karsten
--
Feel free to correct my English. :)