[Project_owners] SeaMonkey XPFE -> toolkit transition

Karsten Düsterloh mnenhy at tprac.de
Mon Jun 13 22:28:20 EDT 2005

Hi!

It is a stated (future) goal
<http://wiki.mozilla.org/index.php?title=SeaMonkey:Project_Goals#Future_Releases>
of the SeaMonkey project to make the suite XULRunner compatible, which
of course includes the need of using the new aviary /toolkit instead of
the /xpfe stuff while retaining (all) the functionality/featureset.

I've explored a few possibilities how to achieve this in
<http://wiki.mozilla.org/User:Mnyromyr#SeaMonkey_.2Fxpfe_to_.2Ftoolkit_widget_transition>,
but I need some "real" data about what will likely break:

If the transition would be made like this:
- Use toolkit as a base, i.e.
chrome://global/content/bindings/toolbar.xml will reference toolkit's
toolbar widgets
- Move all the /xpfe widget stuff that isn't part of /toolkit into a new
package, so that they may be referenced via eg.
chrome://xpfe/content/bindings/toolbar.xml. These widgets would
xbl:extend their respective /toolkit counterparts.
- Assemble the new -moz-bindings in a new chrome://xpfe/content/xpfe.css
and include that in every file that wants to use this extended widget set

So, which of *your* addons will break then?
Which addons use the xbl:extends mechanism to extend XPFE widgets and
require xpfe specific functionality?

Karsten
--
Feel free to correct my English. :)