[Project_owners] SoC, mentoring

Brian King brian at mozdev.org
Wed Jun 8 15:13:40 EDT 2005

Axel Hecht wrote:
> So I received interest in a Solid-project for google's summer of code.
>
> That leaves me with a bunch of questions:
>
> I'm not really feeling like handing the complete project out just yet.
> Is that an issue or not?

I don't think building on top of existing code is disallowed, at least
it is not explicitly stated:
http://code.google.com/summfaq.html

> Who would be the mentor? Would that end up on my lap? What would mozdev
> consider to be the deal?
>
> Does stuff like code review break the "only one guy can work on a
> project" scheme?

David or I will be the primary mentors, but if an eclipse project is
chosen you can definitely be actively involved (if you like). Code
review is I am sure fine.

BTW, if there are students on this list, or you know anybody, that will
participate, you need to fill out this form:
http://code.google.com/soc_application.html

> PS: newsgroups, please. I'm swinging back and forth wrt dropping
> project_owners, it has too much noise to read without digest, working
> off of the digest sucks.

What's the problem? I can read the PO newsgroup fine.

--
Brian King
www.mozdev.org - free project hosting for the Mozilla community