[Project_owners] Summer of Code projects

Bradley Rintoul brintoul at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 6 19:30:01 EDT 2005

Philip Chee wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 17:15:17 +0200, Brian King wrote:
>

>>Philip Chee wrote:
>>

>>Thanks for the heads up. I've updated the page with the relevant
>>information.
>>

>One other thought. Since this is a Google initiative, how about a XUL
>interface to gmail (I think there is one mozdev project on this already - gfox).
>
>Phil

I've been thinking about writing something to track new Google search
results for given search strings...  Kind of like "Google Alerts" that
exist (server-side) in various shapes and forms...   (Save search
strings and check for results that have not been returned in the top 20,
30, whatever - or maybe those that have switched spots 3rd is now 1st,
etc.)  I know server-side stuff is all the rage - and rightfully so -
but I think client-side apps like this have their place, too.

See  http://www.googlealert.com and  http://www.google.com/alert.  I
signed up for the Google-sponsored alerts and found it kind of lacking.

I thought it would be fun and useful.  Any interest in this...?

B. Rintoul