[Project_owners] Extension preferences in Mozilla and Firefox

Matthew Wilson matthew at mjwilson.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 21 21:37:06 EDT 2005

How are extension authors handling preference windows in Mozilla/Firefox?

Pre-Firefox it was easy, you just set up your XUL pages with prefstring
attributes, loaded in the appropriate pages, and let Mozilla deal with
loaded original attribute values, setting preferences after the user
selected OK, and remembering values when switching between pages.

Then with Firefox I managed to keep the same XUL pages, but to have a
different wrapper page containing them.

Now with Deer Park Alpha my old pages stopped working. Do I have to look
through the new code to get my preference pages going again, or is there
a simple way to code preference screens which is compatible with
Mozilla, Firefox 1.0 and Deer Park?

Matthew