[Project_owners] Working with big XML files: memory and persistence issues.

Stan James sjames at uni-osnabrueck.de
Sat Jan 29 11:09:52 EST 2005

Hi all,

My FF extension keeps a [potentially] big XML file loaded in memory,
which it needs to access quite often. Right now it works fine with a
~300K file, but I'd like to handle bigger files. (~2megs, but bigger is
better)  Haven't dared to try yet...

How can I keep this data quickly accessible to my extension in all
windows, without each window needing to keep it's own copy? (Right now I
always have a "designated window."  And if it gets closed then the next
window will re-load/parse the file.)

On a side note, is there any way to find out how much memory a structure
is actually using? I have no idea how much overhead there is for
internal XML trees. (Looking at all those properties in the DOM
inspector, I feel there might be a lot!)

Any better ideas on keeping a big store of data quickly accessible?
Anybody else shoving around big XML structures? Thanks for any tips!

-stan