[Project_owners] Load HTML into DOM?

Bradley Rintoul brintoul at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 10 06:28:08 EST 2005

Rod Whiteley wrote:

> Bradley Rintoul wrote:
>
>> ...it's HTML. What I'd like to do is load this into a DOM...
>

> I suppose you can use nsIDOMParser for that.  It seems to parse HTML
> in a string or a stream and return a document.  I have not tried it
> myself.

I tried using the DOMParser but it didn't work.

The documentation says: "The first argument to the parseFromString
method is the string to parse. The second argument is the content type
of the string. Currently only XML is supported so you should use
'text/xml', 'application/xml' or 'application/xhtml+xml' as the content
type. The DOMParser does not parse HTML, although naturally it will
parse XHTML. You could use the innerHTML property of an element to
handle non-XML HTML."

So I'm trying to create a new document using
document.implementation.createDocument and setting its innerHTML to the
responseText, but so far no luck.  Do I need to create a "root element"
in the newly created DOMDocument..?

Thanks for the response.