[Project_owners] Updated policy documents

David Boswell davidwboswell at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 07:42:12 EST 2005

thanks for the feedback.  i'm happy to pass any comments on to the
lawyers and ask that we update the documents to fix any valid concerns.

> "mozdev's services and the Site are available only to individuals who
> are eighteen (18) years of age or older."
>
> This is bad news for young MAD rookies, like my son who is only 13.
> Think about people like Gervase Markham, Blake Ross and Ben Goodger,
> they all started at a younger age, right?

good point.  i'll ask the lawyers.

> "mozdev reserves the right to terminate Your access to the Site for
> reason or for no reason, on written notice to You, which may be given
> via email or otherwise."
>
> The "for no reason" part is a bit strange, and it sure doesn't make
> you a trustworthy party.

i believe it is worded this to give us flexibility if we do find a
project that is abusing the site.  instead of listing out all possible
violations we wanted to say that if we find something that we consider
to be abuse that we could remove the project.  i'll see if there's a
different way we could word this.

> There's also not a single word about projects that are terminated by
> project owner, and what happens to his code, because a project owner
> should be able to say; it's all over, to everyone.

i think this issue applies to any open source project.  when a new
project is created the code is in effect given to the open source
community under the terms of the license.  i'm not sure the owner is
able to unlicense that existing code after the fact.  that person could
choose not to license any additional code, but that original code is
already out there.  i may be way off, so i'll ask the lawyers.

> p.s. are the new terms and policy pages for new and for all current
> projects?

the goal is to have this apply to all new and existing projects.  i
announced the new documents on the list to give existing owners a
chance to look at them.  for now we can review and comment on these
documents until no one has any more questions about them.  at that
point they will apply to the site as a whole.

david