[Project_owners] New XUL project category

Daniel Fournier zdev at noos.fr
Thu Feb 3 16:50:29 EST 2005

Nice to ear someone interested.

To quickly recap what I thought about, I was thinking of a tool doing
the tasks Ant do but with a much more simpler syntax, written in RDF
(you know I'm so found of it) and using JavaScript/XPCOM (not Java) as a
language to process the RDF descriptions of the tasks.

Answering Calum's post, it's not a GUI generating Ant files, although
you could write a task whose purpose would be to generate an Ant file
from the RDF descriptions of the tasks to process.

Simply stated, this tool is used to process files containing resource
processing statements; a resource is either a file, a directory or a
link to theses entities; the processing modifies either the attributes
(name, type, path, privilege, etc.) or the content of the resource,
eventually using external programs or scripts.

To describe the processing of a resource only two structure levels are
an action is an atomic process relying on a JavaScript class instance
a task is a sequence or alternative of actions and other tasks (so you
have the recursivity to structure your processing).

What I've done already is to define the RDF framework to describe the
tasks to process.

What has to be done is the processor using the RDF description of tasks
to actually perform the transformations of the resources and a nice XUL
GUI to combine most common tasks and actions in a useful way. Of course,
JavaScript classes for those most commonly used tasks are to be written too.

Let me know if it looks like what you need - and if I was clear.