[Project_owners] Code Signing - strange things afoot

Andy McDonald andy_mozdev at stemhaus.com
Thu Dec 29 20:08:02 EST 2005

> Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Security->View Certificates->Your Certificate
>  CA Name
>    My Cert Name     Software Security Device    Object Signer    Serial
> #    Expiration Date
>  1. Make sure it is listed under "Your Certificate"
>  2. Make sure "Purpose" says "Object Signer"
>  3. Make sure your expiration date is valid
> --pete

For my particular cert., everything is fine, except that the purpose is
<unknown>, which is clearly the problem. I guess I have to invoke the
Mozillazine thread:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1981993 (hope that works
right: my post on 29/12/05 10:29pm GMT, not local PC time). But to
understand what's going on in that thread is not easy; if anyone can
explain why the built-in certificate authority 'UTN-USERFirst-Object'
can't be verified (and that is an issue that applies to all
Firefox/Thunderbird users, and which doesn't require following the above
thread), I'll be a lot closer to understanding my own issues.

Thanks for the feedback so far,