[Project_owners] Code Signing - strange things afoot

Andy McDonald andy_mozdev at stemhaus.com
Thu Dec 29 16:53:05 EST 2005

Hi,

I've been trying to sign my extension, and have run into a strange
problem with the code-signing certificate I've been issued by Unizeto
Certum (root CA _is_ installed in Firefox/Thunderbird). Relevant links:

A rather good how-to here: http://forums.tjworld.net/viewtopic.php?t=130

And the resulting issues I've been having in detail here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=189089&postdays=0&postorder=asc&postsperpage=15&start=90
(I'm 'azzer'. But I'm not suggesting you follow this - I'm going to try
to summarise in this e-mail)

I can successfully sign the xpi, and when I get the initial install
dialog 'A website is requesting permission to install...', the extension
appears as signed (which it is of course). When I hit install the chain
of trust is checked, and I get an error indicating that that trust
couldn't be established [aside: that trust should be checked by the time
I see the initial install window, not after I confirm I want to install].

Now I think the issue is with either the certificate I was issued, or
the properties of the Certum CA certificates, or (my suspicion) the
application's handling of code-signing certificates: it's very difficult
for me to summarise what I've learned (see the mozillazine link for gory
details), but I think I have an equivalent question: in the Certificate
Manager, 'View' the built-in certificate authority
'UTN-USERFirst-Object': why does Firefox/Thunderbird report "Could not
verify this certificate for unknown reasons."? This is essentially what
I see when I install my own code-signing certificate in
Firefox/Thunderbird and inspect it.

I'd love to get to the bottom of this, so thanks in advance,
Andy