[Project_owners] Firefox 1.5 deletes all extension files on install/upgrade?

Carl carlpny at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 28 23:13:55 EST 2005

Forgive me if this has already been discussed.

Unless my computer is configured abnormally, it seems that Firefox 1.5 deletes all the files existing in an extension's directory whenever the extension is upgraded.  This includes configuration files in my extension.

To show this isn't only a problem with my extension, the extension that i originally based my source tree on (Remove It Permanently, e.g. RIP) loses all memory when I reinstall it, even though I know the code is designed to retain it.

I also tried doing this by starting with a lower version number and giving it a newer version to install.  It still deletes the files, so the deletion happens in both updates and reinstalls.  Has anyone else come accross this?

Thanks,
Carl