[Project_owners] about:passwordmaker

Neil neil at parkwaycc.co.uk
Wed Dec 14 00:19:37 EST 2005

Eric H. Jung wrote:

>When my extension opens a new tab with the URI "about:passwordmaker", I can't populate it with content. I'd like to use this URI to display information about my extension's settings. However, the following exception appears in the JS console:
>
>Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80040154 (NS_ERROR_FACTORY_NOT_REGISTERED) [nsIWebNavigation.loadURI]"  nsresult: "0x80040154 (NS_ERROR_FACTORY_NOT_REGISTERED)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://global/content/bindings/browser.xml :: loadURIWithFlags :: line 170"  data: no]
>Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/browser.xml
>Line: 170
>
>Anyone know how I can achieve this? My code works just fine if I use "about:blank".

When you refer to about:passwordmaker Gecko tries to load a component
named @mozilla.org/network/protocol/about;1?what=passwordmaker to
implement the nsIAboutModule interface. What that component then usually
does is create a channel for a chrome URL, and set its original URL to
the about URL, so for example about:config simply loads
chrome://global/content/config.js as you can demonstrate by comparing
the two in two tabs.