[Project_owners] Abandoned Project Takeover Process

David Boswell davidwboswell at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 5 19:29:34 EST 2005

> Wasn't there a plan to distinguish between
> mature/frozen/historical and truly abandoned?

We had talked about that and it is something I'm interested in doing.
This is a huge undertaking though and this has to be a community-driven
effort if it is going to work.

Just to give an idea of the scope, there are currently 814 projects
listed on the abandoned projects list.  Any plan we come up with will
probably involve some level of manual effort to classify these
projects, so that is a big task.

If anyone wants to help with this, we can move the discussion off-list
or open up a bug to track our ideas.

> I recently discovered that spiderzilla was still under active
> development
> under a new author but he didn't have access to the Spiderzilla cvs
> and the
> original author was ignoring all attempts to contact him by email.

Anyone interested in taking over an abandoned project can email the
admin list and one of the admins will respond.  In general, the process
is for the person interested to make an attempt to contact the current
owner.  If there is no response, we can switch ownership of an
abandoned project after a few days if we judge it to be truly
abandoned.

David