[Project_owners] Creating applications with Mozilla

Mook mook.moz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 09:39:10 EDT 2005

On 8/19/05, Eric Jung <grimholtz at yahoo.com> wrote:
<snip>

> 1. I see the mozilla icon and splash screen can be customized. Can I
> also use a different exe name simply by renaming mozilla.exe? (e.g.,
> passwordmaker.exe). What are examples of other things people have
> customized which might not be covered in the book?
>
> 2. XPI is the means to install applications, but most of my users
> won't have Mozilla already installed. Can I package my application as
> a stand-alone exe (with Mozilla) but only display my chrome (i.e., no
> address bar, etc... nothing to make it appear as a browser).

<snip>

You can rename the .exe, but it will still use the Mozilla profile
(and thus you can't run Mozilla and your app at the same time).  What
you really want to do is probably try looking at XULRunner.

Not sure yet how you can get XULRunner to launch a specific chrome yet
though - the last time I tried it, it needed parameters.  Maybe a
small launcher?

--
Mook
mook.moz at gmail