[Project_owners] Firefox crash in xpinstall.dll

Michael Vincent mv_van_rantwijk at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 17 15:13:18 EDT 2005

Ludwig Hunecke wrote:

>> A link to your source might help others to have a look, after all,
>> this is open source, right?  They might see something you overlooked ;)
>
> http://www.mozdev.org/source/browse/multexi/src/multexi_xpi/src/content/multexi/multexi.js?rev=1.4&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Ok, from my first observation is that you use initManagerFromChrome()
however, this method is only available in the non toolkit aka Mozilla
Seamonkey version of nsIXPInstallManager.idl

Just compare
http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/xpinstall/public/nsIXPInstallManager.idl
with
http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/toolkit/components/downloads/public/nsIXPInstallManagerUI.idl

but you are using this method in doInstall() and function
mccInstallUpdateItems()

> That's the URL to the specific file. The error occures after
>
> xpInstallManager =
> Components.classes["@mozilla.org/xpinstall/install-manager;1"]
>
> .getService(Components.interfaces.nsIXPInstallManager);
>
> has been invoked in "function mccSynchronizeMsc () ". I know, this
> reference isn't needed there ... that's just for testing.
> Currently I'm a little irretated beacuse in the update.js from the
> sources I downloaded they're using createInstance(...) and not
> getSevice(...) (but I think this irretation might be caused by missing
> know how ;) ).

I don't understand why you don't use createInstance() after all, the
source file uses it and Pete also said the same.

p.s. don't get irritated because that won't help you ;)

Michael