[Project_owners] Re: How to open a menupopup by keyboard for <toolbarbutton type="menu"...

Michael Vincent mv_van_rantwijk at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 12:49:49 EDT 2005

Neil wrote:
> Michael Vincent wrote:
>
>> How does this work? The button has focus (a white dotted line is
>> displayed) but nothing happens (there are no JavaScript errors).
>>
>> An example of such button is the 'Tabs' button in the
>> Mozilla/Seamonkey Bookmarks sidebar.
>
> Alt+Up, Alt+Down or F4 should work.

Alt+Up/Down also changes the focus to the next/previous button (when
available) so that isn't what I want. Also, F4 might be in use, like it
for example in MultiZilla to open the Tab Manager, so that key won't
always be available.

I guess that I have to change the binding to make SPACE and ENTER/RETURN
also work. Note that the 'Tabs' button in the bookmarks sidebar makes
use of an unknown/strange attribute called 'menubuttontype', which is
set to 'sidebar-panels' for this button, see also:

http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/xpfe/components/sidebar/resources/sidebarOverlay.xul#88

However, I was unable to locate a single other reference for this
attribute, but I found 'buttonstyle'. Maybe the former is in use by
themes, but I don't know.

Anyway, the button also uses attribute 'type' which is used in xul.css
for the binding so I guess that I should change/extend this binding:

chrome://global/content/bindings/toolbarbutton.xml#menu

or is there perhaps a better/easier way to solve this problem?

Michael