[Project_owners] Porting extension to Deer Park

massey massey at stlouis-shopper.com
Wed Aug 10 08:43:06 EDT 2005

Brian King wrote:

> Sudhakar Chandra wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Where can I find documentation on how to make my extension run in
>> Deer Park?
>

> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Bundles
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Chrome_Registration
>
> Note the deprecated property reference in install.rdf at:
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/install.rdf#Deprecated_Property_Reference
>

> In short, if you want your extension to work only in 1.5 (Deer Park
> and above), you can get rid of those entries in install.rdf and you
> also no longer need any contents.rdf files (*disclaimer, I'm not 100%
> sure about contents.rdf).

The way I understand it is that you _do_ need contents.rdf in your
/contents /locale /skin (top level) directories. The current state of
xpi installs seems to be a real mess, you need to have a mix of old and
new if you want your extension to work across mozilla(suite, ff-1.0.x,
deerpark) distro's. There used to be one well defined method. Now there
are two. The new simpler method requires much more work and seems to
much more complicated.

Jim