[Project_owners] wishful thinking

Axel Hecht axel at pike.org
Wed Aug 10 12:05:05 EDT 2005

Eric Jung wrote:
> I'll be pessimistic and say I'm already fairly sure the answer to my
> question is "no", but it can't hurt to ask:
>
> Is there any other API for accessing RDF datasources besides
> nsIRDFDataSource, nsIRDFContainer, and nsIRDFContainerUtils? For
> example, an SQL or SQL-like interface?
>
> My users are asking for more and more flexibility in the way in which
> they insert, update, delete, and view their data. The current API,
> although adequate, feels cumbersome to me--even after using it for
> several months. Isn't there another way, or must I "slug through it?"
>
> I don't mean to insult anyone. I think the current implementation is
> very useful, but also very low-level. Even a higher-level API built
> around these existing interfaces would be helpful.

I am working on a different set of APIs, which may be less cumbersome.

Not that the trickiness of RDF is not it's API, but it's datamodel. And
to expose this datamodel, you need to expose the full depth. As
indicated in other replies, there are attempts for more compact queries,
like sparql. I heard about an impl of that for mozilla, too, searching
the archive of this list might help.

That said, the base API of RDF will stay basic. If there are good
extensions providing richer APIs, I may be tempted to ship them by
default, but I don't intend to mix higher- and lower- level APIs.

Axel, RDF module owner.