[Project_owners] wishful thinking

Myk Melez myk at melez.com
Tue Aug 9 22:31:37 EDT 2005

Eric Jung wrote:
> Is there any other API for accessing RDF datasources besides
> nsIRDFDataSource, nsIRDFContainer, and nsIRDFContainerUtils? For
> example, an SQL or SQL-like interface?
I've seen some before, but none with SQL's expressiveness.

> My users are asking for more and more flexibility in the way in which
> they insert, update, delete, and view their data. The current API,
> although adequate, feels cumbersome to me--even after using it for
> several months. Isn't there another way, or must I "slug through it?"
Unless you really need RDF for some reason, you might try switching to a
mozstorage datastore

> I don't mean to insult anyone. I think the current implementation is
> very useful, but also very low-level. Even a higher-level API built
> around these existing interfaces would be helpful.
I tried to build such a higher-level API, but eventually I abandoned
it.  Where RDF is valuable, higher-level APIs tend to be limiting.  But
for most data, mozstorage is a better datastore.