[Project_owners] US flag theme

Martin Kutschker Martin.T.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Sat Sep 11 17:21:08 EDT 2004

Pete Collins <pete at mozdevgroup.com> writes on
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:49:28 +0200 (METDST):

> > Unfortunately the US flag gives people around the world a certain
> > political feeling.

Well of course. As long as there are humans around we have love, hate and prejudice. So naturally any flag will raise mixed feelings.

Personally, I'm against all kind of flag-waving, etc. I don't have an Austrian flag and I don't sing our anthem. Patriotism just gives me a bad feeling. It has too many times led to prejudice, hatred and war.

> > Therefore I find it more appropriate that mozdev.org doesn't use a
> > theme which wants to make a statement. Especially because some
> > projects follow the mozdev.org theme.
> >
> Fact 1: The attack happened on US soil.

Hard to deny. But if you're implying the everyone has to show American flags cause of this I thik you are wrong.

> Fact 2: The US has been the greatest liberator and defender of freedom
> in the history of the world.

This is a political statement. I won't debate whether it is true or not. Please discuss such things somewhere else.

> Fact 3: Mozdev was created by US citizens, was born and lives in the
> US.

Until now this didn't make much difference. I'd like it to stay that way.

> Fact 4: The US has spent more money on humanitarian efforts than any
> other country in the world.

I fail to see the connection with displaying a flag on some site, especially mozdev.

> I'm sick and tired of all the US bashing I see and hear abroad. We
> don't like to discuss non developer issues on this list, but quite
> honestly this type of wining gets me nauseous.

I agree that bashing, especially gettign bashed is no fun. But let's face it, it has happened and happens to other nations as well.

> The US flag is not a political symbol, it is a symbol of this great
> country and the beacon freedom it upholds for the rest of the world.

If this statement is not political, what is it then. It shows of great pride and a believe in some kind of nation-wide mission. Such thoughts are dangerous.

Masi