[Project_owners] Dict XPI returns fails with Error -239 on Mozilla [long]

David Costanzo david_costanzo at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 10 16:16:25 EDT 2004

My project's installer has a problem.  When I upgrade an existing
installation of dict, the upgrade fails with error -239.  This may only
be a problem on Linux.  I have looked through bugzilla and noticed that
other projects have the same problem.  Because of this, I am sharing
what I have learned about my problem and asking for feedback from the
group.

By the way, I used "linky" as a template for my extension.  Anyone else
who also used linky may have this problem.

There is a work-around for this problem.  For example, If I restart
Mozilla and immediately go to a bookmark of the XPI, the installation
will always succeed.

The problem is tied to the call to registerChrome() that registers my
locale in install.js.  If I comment this call out, the installation
never fails with an error code.  (Of course, the package isn't useful
without support for any locales.)

I recently narrowed this down further to my
locale/en-US/dict/contents.rdf file.  I found that if I stripped some
things out of my contents.rdf (to match what googlebar does), my
installation always succeeds.  I don't know if this actually fixes the
problem because I don't understand the problem or RDF files.  I'm
hoping that someone else can provide more insight.

My changes were to remove the "chrome:displayName", "chrome:author",
and "chrome:name" attributes from an RDF:Description element.  I also
removed an RDF:Description element that only contained version
information.

Any Ideas?

Here was my old (bad) RDF file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!-- $Id: contents.rdf.m4,v 1.1 2004/03/05 05:43:50 dcostanz Exp $ -->

<RDF:RDF
    xmlns:RDF="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
    xmlns:chrome="http://www.mozilla.org/rdf/chrome#">

    <!-- list all the packages being supplied by this jar -->
    <RDF:Seq about="urn:mozilla:locale:root">
        <RDF:li resource="urn:mozilla:locale:en-US"/>
    </RDF:Seq>

    <!-- locale information -->
    <RDF:Description
        about="urn:mozilla:locale:en-US"
        chrome:displayName="English(US)"
        chrome:author="David Costanzo"
        chrome:name="en-US"

        <chrome:packages>
            <RDF:Seq about="urn:mozilla:locale:en-US:packages">
                <RDF:li resource="urn:mozilla:locale:en-US:dict"/>
            </RDF:Seq>
        </chrome:packages>
    </RDF:Description>

    <!-- Version Information -->
    <RDF:Description
        about="urn:mozilla:locale:en-US:dict"
        chrome:localeVersion="0.5.10"
    />

</RDF:RDF>

Here is my new one:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!-- $Id: contents.rdf.m4,v 1.2 2004/10/10 22:18:55 dcostanz Exp $ -->

<RDF:RDF
    xmlns:RDF="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
    xmlns:chrome="http://www.mozilla.org/rdf/chrome#">

    <!-- list all the packages being supplied by this jar -->
    <RDF:Seq about="urn:mozilla:locale:root">
        <RDF:li resource="urn:mozilla:locale:en-US"/>
    </RDF:Seq>

    <!-- locale information -->
    <RDF:Description about="urn:mozilla:locale:en-US">
        <chrome:packages>
            <RDF:Seq about="urn:mozilla:locale:en-US:packages">
                <RDF:li resource="urn:mozilla:locale:en-US:dict"/>
            </RDF:Seq>
        </chrome:packages>
    </RDF:Description>

</RDF:RDF>