[Project_owners] Are contents.rdf files needed in Firefox extensions?

Brian King brian at mozdev.org
Thu Nov 11 18:13:38 EST 2004

Patrick Brunschwig wrote:

> I would turn it this way: there are some parts in contents.rdf that may
> be redundant given the new extensions, but other parts are still needed.
> Just think of how you specify overlays: you can't do that in
> install.rdf. From this, I conclude that contents.rdf is certainly not
> obsolete. But is it mandatory? -- I don't know.

They appear to be still needed, even in extensions that don't overlay.

Why? Well, it's the only place to actually put the internal package
name, not the user friendly name that is in install.rdf. So for example:

   <!-- package information -->
   <RDF:Description about="urn:mozilla:package:my-great-extension"
         chrome:name="my-great-extension" />

Without this, chrome:// urls are not possible for the extension.

Also, I did a test without a contents.rdf, and Firefox crashed on
restart after install and on subsequent restarts failed to complete the
installation of the extension.

So that puts an end to that theory!

--
Brian King