[Project_owners] Are contents.rdf files needed in Firefox extensions?

Brian King brian at mozdev.org
Tue Nov 9 14:44:03 EST 2004

One of the staples of traditional packages (in Mozilla) is that
contents.rdf manifest files are needed to register a particular portion
of your package as content | skin | locale, and enable chrome:// URLs to
those locations.

I'm wondering if contents.rdf files are redundant in Firefox given that:
a) install.rdf contains the front end data such as extension name,
author, version, etc.
b) install.rdf lists the package, skin and locale location, e.g.
       <Description about="urn:mozilla:extension:file:mypackage.jar">

I could do a simple test to check, but I'm asking here out of laziness
and for others to be informed.

Another way to ask would be -- does anyone have a working extension
*without* packaging any contents.rdf files?

Brian King
www.mozdev.org - free project hosting for the mozilla community