[Project_owners] Quick Guide to Firefox's new Extension API

Jed jedbro at gmx.net
Mon May 31 10:26:26 EDT 2004

Karsten Düsterloh wrote:
> Jed aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:
>
>>Yes, the new EM is a lot LESS flexible that the old .js method.
>>Unfortunately, for Firefox to become a the "mainstream" browser that my
>>Grandma can use, this needs to happen. Extensions need to be limited so
>>as not to break my grama's browser.
>

> AFAICT, it's still possible to break the browser with an extension.
> Just imagine an extension tampering with the Tools menu where the
> extension manager sits - your Granny won't even be able to deinstall it.
> Just because a program has less options it's not easier, quite the
> contrary. You have to tediously work around its deficiencies.

Agreed, although now, if an extension breaks your browser, you can start
up Firefox with something like the following (can't remember exactly)
firefox.exe -no-extensions
which will disable all extensions and allow you to uninstall the
offending extension.

I guess my point is, if you wrote an extension that goes beyond what the
current EM will allow you, it might be harder to be able to control
this, again, I do agree much improvment is needed in this area

>>Ben is offering more complex installation via the command line, which is
>>OK for experiences users.
>

> Pleased to hear that. Do you have a pointer for this?
> It's the first time I hear of it.
Can't find it, you'll need to search the mozilla.org forums. I can't
remeber if it was in a posting by Ben or on one of his multiple
extension documents (bengoodger.com)

Jed