[Project_owners] Quick Guide to Firefox's new Extension API

Karsten Düsterloh mnenhy at tprac.de
Mon May 31 15:51:57 EDT 2004

Jed aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:
> Yes, the new EM is a lot LESS flexible that the old .js method.
> Unfortunately, for Firefox to become a the "mainstream" browser that my
> Grandma can use, this needs to happen. Extensions need to be limited so
> as not to break my grama's browser.

AFAICT, it's still possible to break the browser with an extension.
Just imagine an extension tampering with the Tools menu where the
extension manager sits - your Granny won't even be able to deinstall it.
Just because a program has less options it's not easier, quite the
contrary. You have to tediously work around its deficiencies.

> Ben is offering more complex installation via the command line, which is
> OK for experiences users.

Pleased to hear that. Do you have a pointer for this?
It's the first time I hear of it.

> Yes, this needs to improve, but I think it is a great solution for the
> time being and for Firefox 1.0.
> In the meantime you still have the suite, and hopefully post-1.0 this
> can be addressed.

With the current state of affairs, yes, there's no alternative to the
suite for me.

Feel free to correct my English. :)