[Project_owners] utilityOverlay.xul and Firefox 0.9

Justin Wood jw6057 at bacon.qcc.mass.edu
Sun Jun 13 03:56:23 EDT 2004

David Murray wrote:

> It seems that the utilityOverlay.xul file has been removed from
> Firefox, which has killed my extension, and most likely a lot of other
> people's that rely on that file to stick Edit menus and whatnot in
> their extensions. Has anyone found a substitute or anything?
> navigatorOverlay.xul looks like the only thing I can find, but it
> stops my extension from even loading.
> This looks like its going to break my extension for either Mozilla or
> Firefox with the next release, as for some reason including an
> xul-overlay that doesn't exist (ie. utilityOverlay.xul) causes the
> entire program to halt, instead of just continue on and ignore it.
> Has anyone had this problem and managed to solve it? Its sending me
> insane.
> David.
> http://deepestsender.mozdev.org/
Possible Solutions
Well you can use contents.rdf to dynamically include it. (doesnt hork if

You could also set localized versions of the stuff for your extension only.

Do as Silver has done with CZ:  use extension only dtd's for the
_needed_ stuff, and then add more menu items for things you want to keep
in SM, include the overlay as per the first solution, leave the extra
(non-FF) stuff "hidden" then dynamically check if a child "id" exists on
load of the window.

Finally, a longer-term solution is, what I have proposed to begin with
(I stopped it for now so I can get Cal working though):

Good Luck,

Let me know if you come up with anything better.
~Justin Wood