[Project_owners] XUL webapps

Pete Collins pete at mozdevgroup.com
Sat Jul 31 11:52:45 EDT 2004

> This is all already possible for a number of years (the first game
> added on games.mozdev.org is of august 2002)
>
> I don't seem to be able to find other xul webapps on the web. I'm
> wondering why? It's fantastic technology. I know the mozilla market
> share is not that large (but growing :-) ), but I for instance would
> expect that xul based web mail would exist.
>
> Imagine how cool google mail would be if it had a xul interface, and
> if google made a xul interface for gmail it would also be very
> tempting for  IE users to switch

I said the same exact thing in 1999. I got involved w/ Mozilla for this
*very* reason - building remote xul apps. My first Mozilla app was 100%
remote.

  http://scripteditor.mozdev.org/

The main problem that kept coming up is access to xpconnect from remote XUL.

I believe the future of Mozilla development will be done by hybrid
developers. Client + Remote.

Eg:

  A php/javascript hacker -> remote/client languages
  php/html -> php/xul

So instead of using HTML as the web app user interface, things will move
toward XUL.

--pete

www.mozdevgroup.com
Mozilla Software Development Solutions